Friday, November 21, 2014

Meet Me in the Pouring Rain

I had the afternoon off, so I decided to go into town to do some long needed errands. I spent a chunk of time waiting at the bank—which, if you thought American banks were slow, try going to a bank on African time—and practicing my broken Kinyarwanda to the delight of the other people waiting with me. As I finished my errands, a steady rain had started. The motos don’t run when it’s raining, so I thought I would just walk home. Sometimes the rain in Rwanda lasts for just a few minutes. Sometimes it never ends. I took a chance that it would be the former…which I’m sure you can guess was not the case.

I decided to take the slightly longer walk home because that hill out of town was less steep and, as my host Dad endearingly reminds me, “be careful, you can slippery.” The problem was that I hadn’t taken that way home since my first day in Cyangugu. A passing truck with a poorly-translated window sign advised me there was “No Time to Loose” so I tightened my raincoat around me and made my trek home.

The rain showed no signs of stopping and as I hummed ‘Let it snow’ and wished I had some corn for popping, water came at me from all sides. The thunder crashed above like a ten lane bowling alley and I watch jagged lightning illuminate the jagged mountain peaks on the horizon. It didn’t take long for my pants to be holding twice their weight in water.

When I had been preparing to go into town earlier today, I slipped on my trusty rain boots, stylishly cuffed halfway too offset the sight of me wearing boots when it was hot and sunny. I brought them along to be useful against the potential mud that would maybe accrue on the off chance that it rained. Unfortunately, it soon became clear that this style only served to funnel rainwater directly onto my feet. I soon learned as well that my raincoat, which I always considered to be one part style and two parts function, was actually one part style and the mere idea of function. Needless to say, I was quickly soaked.

The water rushed down the descending hills next to me as I wove down the gentle slope hoping that I’d picked the correct turn to get home. Every so often I would pass an outpouring of water from the town above, gushing out of the mountain and flowing beneath precarious log bridges in turbulent rapids. The water, muddy brown and aggressively fast, was both beautiful and frightening in that way that powerful water can be.

After some slipping and sliding off the hill of Kamembe Town, I was pleased to find that I had picked the correct turns home and made it to Mont Cyangugu, where I live. I sloshed my way up the cobblestone road of Mont Cyangugu, thinking that I would have made a terrible World War 1 soldier and wondering how long it took for trenchfoot to set in. Thankful that my phone case is waterproof, I set the soundtrack to my walk home (thanks One Direction, for your jammin new album) and finished the short walk to my house. Just as I reached home, the rain let up. One of my house girls emerged from her sanctuary inside and saw me, dripping wet and pouring a good two inches of water from my boots. She started laughing and then I started laughing, trying to explain in Kinyarwanda that I got caught in a rainstorm.

Even though I was soaked to my skin, I had a hilariously good time on my walk back. I wasn’t worried about being lost and it didn’t take very long to be as wet as I was ever going to be, so I just decided to savor the time walking alone in the pouring rain. There is beauty in a storm—from the flooded fields to dark clouds over a lake framed by Congolese mountains. Plus, being soaked by rainwater counts as washing my pants, right?


Rainwater coming through a sewer drain

Where the many pouring rivers combine

Enjoying the rain in my "suggestion" of a raincoat

Pro tip: boots function best when worn as designed

Muddy water cascading off the hill

No comments:

Post a Comment